An artist is a dreamer consenting to dream of the actual world.

What was any art but a mold in which to imprison for a moment the shining elusive element which is life itself - life hurrying past us and running away, too strong to stop, too sweet to lose. ~Willa Cather

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Social Networking bannation: Day 1.

Facebook-be-gone experiment, day 1.


I have decided to get off of Facebook for a whole month. One. Whole. Month. To some, this is an absurd idea. Preposterous. I'm beginning to think they're right. 


It's already been 15 minutes and I can feel the blood rushing to my head...my palms beginning to sweat...the familiar shakes come on as I feel the withdrawals setting in. The endless hours of creeping on pictures of people I hardly know beckon to me; the painstaking thought process of inventing a witty status to gather caustic remarks and thousands of "likes" plagues the brain. Tomorrow is National Creep Day...How can I do what I do best without Facebook?


All that aside...it's worth it. Completely worth it. I have realized just how important Facebook has become in this society...too important. It has become an infection; people refer to it for relationships, friendships, and even friends of friends of friends that were tagged in that one picture from when your friend was on vacation. This so-called social network has become more than just a trend among college students. It has become a world-wide icon that has possessed so many monitors across this globe. And I want to know...is it really worth it? Is Facebook so crucial in my life that I can't go a month without it? I would like to think not. That is why I am going to conduct this experiment. To go a month without that social networking site that we have all learned to obsess over. And I challenge you to try as well, reader. Will you accept?


P.S. Also, if you really need to get ahold of me, there are other things out there. Email. Phone. A hand-written letter! I love getting them and I love sending them. They have become obsolete and it saddens me. What is a hand-written letter you may ask?


Google it. 

1 comment:

Helmsie said...

I don't seem to have your mailing address??