An artist is a dreamer consenting to dream of the actual world.

What was any art but a mold in which to imprison for a moment the shining elusive element which is life itself - life hurrying past us and running away, too strong to stop, too sweet to lose. ~Willa Cather

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Youth Groupies of Jesus.

It's so refreshing...to be around people that put God first. 
Tonight, I hung out with the youth group, for the first time in a while. And you know what? I was at peace. I felt so whole. And that can only be a God thing. I honestly just feel pure sadness for those that drink the night away, trying to find an inkling of friendship, or crude movies that just seep into your heart and make you feel...well...cruddy. It just felt like...home, as Janelle so aptly put it. 

Unrelated note. The other day I was listening to my morning David Jeremiah. He told this awesome analogy about riding a tandem bicycle with God. He said, “When I had control, I knew the way. It was rather boring, but predictable. But when He took the lead, He knew delightful long trails up mountains, and through rocky places at breakneck speeds; it was all I could do to hang on!! Even though it looked like madness, He said, “Pedal!” I was worried and anxious and asked, "Where are You taking me?" He laughed and didn't answer, and I started to learn to trust. And I'm beginning to enjoy the cool breeze on my face with my delightful constant companion, Christ. And when I'm sure I just can't do anymore, He just smiles and says..."Pedal." Beautiful. Jesus take the handlebars. I'm going to add my own bit to this analogy...

"So I pedal. I begin to grow frustrated and bored of the same scenery after a while. So I tell God to pull over; I want to drive. I know it's not a good idea; I've never been here before...and I'm not sure of the way. But God simply gives me the front seat. Before I know it, I've gone off-course. We soon are stuck in a deep rut, and night is falling. Wait...we?! I begin to look around frantically. I cannot see my Lord anywhere. "Lord!" I cry out. "Where are you? I'm lost! So lost..." Suddenly, the Lord is there. He smiles and says, "how was driving?" You begin to realize just how unequipped you are to lead this mission. "Lord...I'm ready for you to take the front seat again. And I'm willing to sit back...and pedal." You both ride away, into the treacherous hills and sweet pastures with rolling waters beyond."

Well. Kinda corny. But I love this analogy. It's just such an amazing gift; that God's grace surpasses all. He is willing to take any burden, any time. And He is always listening. To 6.7 billion people. Each one.

No comments: